For several years now, I’ve been publishing “Links To Go” on a regular basis. This is where I link to things that I’ve found to be interesting reading. I often agree with the point being made, but not always. Sometimes it’s interesting to me because it’s a well-made argument that states the opposite of what I think.
I don’t have a set order for the links. I try to put things that I think are especially important near the top, particularly because that’s what Facebook users see when the post shows up there. (I’m always a bit amused when someone “Likes” the Links post. Does that mean they liked every article? Like the fact that I’m sharing articles? Or did they just read the first headline in the list and like it?) I favor religious articles over non-religious, but don’t hold to that strictly.
I try to put the more frivolous things near the bottom. Sports, humor, odd stories, videos… scroll down to find those.
Here’s some interesting things I’ve learned:
- How easy it is to copy a link affects my decision to use it. I try to get past that, but the sites that insist on putting “Read more at www.timothyarcher.com/adsfpuiodsafpuio#” discourage my using their stuff.
- Formatting can affect my choice. Another thing I try to get past, but people who regularly put their post titles in all caps make my job a bit more difficult. Slightly better are those who write them normally, but have them capitalized by the theme of their blog. I have workarounds for that. I also go through and pull out the rivers of white space created by multiple taps of the space bar. (Ben Witherington REALLY likes his space bar!)
- I sometimes “reward” someone with a link to their site. I don’t really do this consciously, but I do recognize that in myself. This blogger has mentioned my stuff; I’ll be watching for something of theirs that I can share.
- When I’m really busy, I don’t read as much, and don’t have links to share. So now you’ll read and say, “Aha! He’s not busy. He posted links.” It’s not just busy; it’s “busy that pulls me away from my computer.”
- When I’m traveling, I don’t read as much, and don’t have links to share. I’m often busy when traveling as well.
Anyway, hope you enjoy the links. Oh, and yes… that was an intentional pun about “links” and “to go” since this is The Kitchen. That’s why I chose that title.