So, thank you millennials for your honesty and your challenges. We want to learn from you and love you.
But we also hope you will learn how to learn from us; and even learn how to love us too. Cliches and all.
Either way, the state of being offended is in our control. It is a position that we take. Sometimes it is even warranted and we can demonstrate that we are in the right to take such a position. In doing so, however, we hand the reigns of our heart over to someone who has already offered to hurt us once. That doesn’t sound like a good idea. And the truth is that we hand the reigns over to the Enemy, who uses our offense to damage our own soul and those relationships that we should be seeking to enrich.
- Don’t come home from work and turn on the TV
- Be careful with the time demands of hobbies
- Talk about spiritual things continually with your family
- Be fully present when you are at home
- Be the chief servant to your family
These are six deadly enemies of marriage. Anyone who is married and follows Jesus has been called to something higher. Genuine self-giving love will cause us to avoid these enemies and not go near them.
David Kinnaman, author of You Lost Me, directed the research on pastors’ kids. He comments, “The numbers show that pastors’ kids—at least as reported through the eyes of their parents—are about average when it comes to their struggles with Christianity and with the Church. This is perhaps to be expected, yet also disappointing. The children of pastors are not destined to become prodigals, but more than one out of 14 seem to have left their faith behind. And nearly two-fifths of these church-raised kids go through a period of significant doubt—we call this the spiritual journey of nomads, those who still call themselves Christians yet are no longer connected to a local church.
Christianity is about dying to self (Lk. 9:23) that we might life to God in Christ (Gal. 2:20). Osteen is about Breaking Out to realize all we can be. God is reduced to a supporting character in the great story of me. Osteen’s message is the spiritual equivalent to a basketball player scoring on the wrong hoop. Except this is not a game. People actually listen, buy, and believe this stuff. Lives and souls do depend on it.
- I can’t disciple someone because I’m not “godly” enough.
- I can’t be discipled by someone unless they are far godlier than me.
- Only older people can disciple younger people.
- I can’t have a “co-discipling” relationship.
- I have to get all my discipleship from one place.
- I can’t disciple others while I’m being discipled.
- I can’t disciple others because I still struggle with sin.
- I have to spend an equal amount of time with everyone I disciple.
- I have to spend all my time on the person I don’t want to disciple.
But seriously, if you’re in our circle of friends or family, please don’t buy my kids presents but instead give them the gift of your time and love. It doesn’t have to cost anything, but it’s really the ONLY thing they need.
This is quite extraordinary. The wonderful Maria João Pires is ready to play a Mozart piano concerto with the Amsterdam Concertgebouw conducted by Riccardo Chailly, only to hear the orchestra begin playing another Mozart concerto – no 20 in D minor, K466, not what she was expecting or had prepared for. Can you imagine her horror? You’ll have to watch the film below to find out what happened next.