So how do we deal with differing tastes, differing convictions, differing needs and differing desires? When some want variety and others predictability? Or when some want nothing but modern praise songs and others want classic hymns? Or when some want stoicism and others want passion?
Some of the answers:
- Majority rules—whatever most people want goes
- Tradition rules—whatever we’ve always done goes
- Age rules—the younger folks can do it their way when their time comes
- Separate but equal services—one service for one group, another for the other
- Worship style determined by each week’s praise leader—different men in the congregation take turns leading, with each one determining what style will be used that week
- My way or the highway—if some folks don’t like it, they can find themselves somewhere else to worship
Are there other suggestions? What’s the best way to handle our differences?